Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Book of the Week - The Girl for Me



Title: The Girl For Me
Author: Failte
Publisher: Fictionpress
Length: 268 pages
Rating: 4 Quills
Tags: high school, athlete, cross dressing, first time, contemporary

Blurb

Straight jockboy Kevin thinks he has gay, cross-dressing Danny under his thumb. Kevin only likes girls.

So... why does he keep thinking about her?

Or him.

Whatever.


Review

All I can say to begin with is, "Wow." This is the story of two high schoolers trying to figure out who they are. I think it highlights the fact that there aren't necessarily discrete boxes in which people's sexuality fit into. Danny, or Dani, depending on how s/he is feeling that day, struggles with fitting in with what s/he perceives as trans. Kevin struggles first with realizing he might be attracted to a guy and then with having that guy being confused with his own identity. This story was heart warming at times and brought into the light the struggles many people have to deal with. These two get into any number of hijinks that only high schoolers can find themselves in and occasionally you want to smack one or the other of them upside the head just for being a teenager but overall you can't help but loving these two characters.


I did have one issue with the story. ALERT - SPOILER COMING BELOW.

In one scene, Kevin gets very excited and doesn't listen when Dani says no and Dani is hurt. This scene was relatively explicit and could be too far for some readers. I was torn reading this because I felt that Kevin had unforgivably violated Dani. I will not say how this was resolved, but, thankfully, it was not ignored.  I am not sure how realistically I was able to engage the end of the book because of this though. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and feel that it portrays the gender and sexuality struggles of many teens very well. Despite some of my misgivings, I would still highly recommend this book and give it a 4 Quill rating.




You can find it for free at Fictionpress. I'd love to hear from you if you decide to read this book. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment