Monday, November 7, 2011

Cooking, Control and the Fun you can have with Ketchup

Today I am going to interview Seiran Rou, son of Dominion leader Tanaka Rou. While Sei is a level five earth witch and attends U of M for magical studies, that is not his real passion. He is here to talk to us today about his love of cooking.

Me: So, Sei, how did you start cooking?

Sei: Um, I've been cooking for as long as I can remember. My mom never cooked, sometimes my babysitters would, but the food was always so awful I began to do it myself. The first thing I ever cooked was a frozen pizza. I know, gross, right? My own recipe has a whole grain crust with cheese sprinkled over it and then the marinara put on it, but we'll save that for another time.

Me: Sounds like you sort of got thrown in the deep end there. What is your favorite thing about spending time in the kitchen?

Sei: The control. I handle every ingredient, know what's in everything, and what it does to my body. There is no place I feel more in control of my life than when I'm in the kitchen.

Me: Do you have a favorite recipe that you could share with us today?



Sei: I have lots of favorite recipes, how simple or complicated do you want them?

Me: How ‘bout something not too complicated?

Sei: Let me share with you the tart recipe Gabe loves.

Me: Sounds good to me.

Ingredients

Fillings
- 9 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup agave sweetner
- 5 whole lemons (2 zested and juice from all 5)
- 1 cup whole whipped cream
- 1 seeds of vanilla bean pod

Tart Shells
- 3 cups whole grain flour
- 1/2 cup of bitter cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 zest of one lemon
- 1 seeds of vanilla bean pod
- 1-1/2 eggs

Toppings
- 1 cup Whole Whipped Cream
- 1 cup cut up strawberries, cherries or other favorite berry

How to make the shell
Sieve flour and powdered sugar together.
Mix eggs, lemon and vanilla.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the egg mix.
Knead until the dough becomes smooth and slightly sticky.
Chill before using.
After chilled, line the tart shells and blind bake a 350 for approximately 18 to 20 minutes
Rest in the fridge

Filling
Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla grains in a mixer and combined
Then add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and cream.
Mix well and pour into the baked tart shells
Bake in 275 degree oven for approximately 25 to 30 minutes
Remove and allow to cool
Chill in the fridge

Topping
After chilled spread whipped cream on the the top thinly and layer berries over it.
Recipe makes two 9 inch tart shells. Shells can be frozen if properly sealed and kept for six months.

Me: Umm, that's what you call simple?? Wow. I am obviously outclassed. And by outclassed I mean if there isn't a button for it on the microwave I am pretty much hopeless. So if you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Sei: Cake.

Me: What is the best food to use in a food fight?

Sei: Frosting, though if that fight is going to turn sexual maybe use ketchup and mustard instead. Live and learn right?

Me: I would not have thought of ketchup. I'll have to give that a try next time around. Speaking of making a mess, what has been your biggest disaster in the kitchen?

Sei: I put a cake in the oven once, when I still lived with my mom, but she had people coming over, so she made me go to my room. The cake burned, the smell was awful, and I swear I can still hear my mom yelling at me.

Me: Did your mom like the cake you made for her in Decadence?

Sei: I don't know. She took it, but didn't say anything.

Me: Now for something a bit naughty, whipped cream or chocolate in the bedroom?

Sei: I'm not much for sweets in the bedroom. Gabe likes to taste sour things, oddly enough. He loves lemons, limes, and sour apples. I make a lot of sour desserts. I also have a special lotion that is made for me by another earth witch which is a mix of honey and lemon. He loves licking that off me.

Me: Thanks so much, Sei for joining us today and I am sure I can speak for everyone when I say I can't wait to read more about your adventures in Reclamation.

You can buy Dominion Books 1 and 2, Inheritance and Reclamation, from Dreamspinner Press for $5.99 each.

You can also read more about Sei and Gabe in a series of short stories which can be downloaded for free on Goodreads.com: Friction, Resolute, Decadence, and Consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment